Monday, April 13, 2009

Crankypants

Hope everyone had a good weekend filled with whichever religiousness you subscribe to and lots of candy-- because candy is universal and, by golly, you're worth it.

So as you see it appears my "crankypants" is mixed with a little "crazy shut-in" but that's how I'm rolling this monday. I'm all put out because I'm half tied to the house today waiting for edits which means I can PRETEND that I'm missing out on awesome things which I probably wouldn't do as opposed to sitting in front of my computer and cursing Windows Media Player plug-in from keeping me from watching the Lamb Cam. AND it's past Easter, Mother Nature, I'm no longer impressed with your low-50s weather. Time to step up your game!

But since I had a good food weekend I thought I do a happy little book review.
I believe I received this at my bridal shower. I wasn't quite sold by the cover and the fact it was a "Bride and Groom" cookbook but I love cookbooks so I was like "I'll check this out later". My bridal shower was in May in upstate New York and I was living in DC at the time knowing full well that after the wedding in September I'd be moving to Boston so it probably was also along the lines of, "I'm leaving everything in NY so I don't have to move it twice."

But fast forward to after the wedding living in Boston and let me tell you- this cookbook rocks my socks. The book jacket has pretty scallopped edges and the pictures are all lovely and, oh yeah, the food is great. I have made more recipes from this book than any other cookbook. I've made the:
  • Pizza dough from scratch
  • Flaky piecrust to go with the...
  • Personalized chicken pot pies
  • Guacamole
  • Pesto-- which went with...
  • Goat cheese, sun-dried tomato and pesto torta (which I brought to Easter yesterday and was sooo good)
  • Brie and champagne fondue
  • Chicken "divine"
  • Frittata with sun-dried tomatoes, cream cheese and basil
  • French toast with hot buttered run-maple syrup
  • Mom's "flyaway" Pancakes with Melted Berries (my favorite of the book)
  • Quick-and-Easy Drop Biscuits (the cheddar version which was so good that I opted for the left over biscuit today instead of a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg)
  • Harvest Apple Crisp
  • Great Robert's Whiskey Sour Slush
  • Mary's Bloody Mary's (although I never have Clamato around so I just used V8)
And yes, the last two are correct, there are drink recipes in the back! Also I've made 15 recipes, although that's out of many many more in the book, but FIFTEEN?!? That's amazing. That's got to be some sort of cookbook record. At least for me. But anyway--great cookbook-- and totally an impulse buy for your aunts, friends, cousins while getting other registry gifts at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Crate and Barrel so HINT AWAY!!

No comments: