Thursday, May 7, 2009

April Showers, where are my May flowers?

In the Northeast we had a peak of sunny weather in the end of April. Just enough to haul out the grill and the lawn chairs and it's been dreary and rainy ever since. But at least it's about 50 degrees.

I think I've mentioned before that when I went to go pick out my wedding flowers I could name four (roses/irises, which I don't like and peonies/rananculus which were both out of season) and dislike both. Thankfully my florist had a stack of books and I went through and pointed.

Since then I've been getting my flower education slowly by surely through yoga. Strange, I know, but one of the women in my classes, Jeri Solomon, is a the owner of Jeri Solomon Floral Design and brings new arrangements every week and for all of us not quite in the know, leave a small card explaining what is what. I can now spot forsythia in yards in the neighborhood. Today we had lovely hyacinths (which I originally thought were lilacs but hey- they're pretty close- get off my back). :)


Jeri was a featured floral designer for Bloomingdale's Registry in April and I have some gorgeous pictures that might help you forget gray skies for a bit.




I really can't decide which one I like best. The first one is so vibrant and I love the textures but the second one had such elegant structure to it and the pop of the yellow against the black vase in the third one is so snappy. Now I suppose the real challenge now would be if I could say what everything is. I'm seeing orchids in all. Calla lilies in the last two. And I'm 80% sure those are gerber daisies in the last one. But then again, you could always just point and say "I like THAT one."

If you're in the Northeast definitely check out Jeri Solomon Floral Design. She creates gorgeous arrangements for weddings, corporate events, social events, and even if you just need to impress your guests with a kick ass arrangement in your house. And when I find a new spectacular flower from her yoga arrangements- I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: